People have occasionally asked me,
Carlos! How do you stay a week ahead of the news cycle the way you do?Let me answer with a digression. I had the misfortune of watching CNBC at the gym the other day. There are two things you need to know about its éminence grise, Larry Kudlow. The first is, Kudlow has done more cocaine than you can possibly imagine. He is the Annabel Chong of Andes candy. The second thing, and it's related: Kudlow has remarkably poor judgment. And in Kudlow, one can see a microcosm of the modern media. To paraphrase someone or another, think of legitimate journalism, then take away reason and accountability.
It might be a coincidence, but it's the second tier of writers I knew in college who have won Pulitzers, not the first tier. Not yet, anyway.
On that note, here are some posts that will never be seen, on topics few people would actually read:
- Richard "Humanity Dick" Martin, the early nineteenth century Irish animal rights activist and avid duelist.
- John Chilembwe, late of Nyasaland, who managed to learn about John Brown at a Bible college in Virginia.
- The goddess of smallpox, Sitala.
- Chaos theory and why general equilibrium economics sometimes makes me laugh.
- Dimitrie Cantemir, Ahmet Ertegun, and Dick Dale: an eternal golden braid. (This one I might try for a wider audience, along with the tapirage and feather painting piece.)
- Cycad toxicity and mammalian evolution. Sorry, Will, but the data are too equivocal.
One thing that has really vexed me here is the lack of literary talk. I get tired of discussing a sterile dying genre. It's like shoveling dirt on a guy in an iron lung.
Another thing: no groupies. Instead, I get fanboys who want to be spoonfed. Take it to LoserCon, homes. I won't miss that at all.
I just like this graphic. Two more posts, I think.